If you have been recently involved in a car accident, it only makes sense that the first step you take, aside from addressing any injuries you might have, is finding the best lawyer that specializes in handling this type of case. Car accidents can be a complicated issue and having the right legal assistance is crucial to make sure that no other inconvenience will take place. You don’t want to face the other driver, the insurance company agent, and the judge alone while you’re still recovering from your injuries.
To find the best car accident lawyer, here are some tips you should know:
1. Ask for Referrals
Start sourcing for potential lawyers through people you trust, such as your family, close friends or even colleagues in the workplace. This way, you can guarantee that they are looking out for your welfare and protection. Their referrals are particularly valuable if they’ve been in the same predicament as you have and had won their case against the other party, as well as the insurance company. If you have friends who are attorneys that specialize in a different area, ask them who they believe is competent and reliable to handle your case.
2. Check Their Specialization
Law can be a broad area of expertise, and the legal system has a lot of sub-branches with several specializations. When searching for a representative, you must ascertain if they are proficient in handling car accident cases and the particular rules concerning this issue. They should know what details to get and how to share your side of the story in a way that explains the incident without compromising the truth.
These are the details that you should collect after a collision:
- Driver Contact Information – You should be able to get the full name, address, and mobile number of the other party and give your contact information to them as well. This makes it easier for both of you to discuss repairs and payment.
- Insurance Details – The next information you should obtain is their insurance policy number and name of their insurance company.
- Vehicle Features – Determine their car’s manufacturer, model, year, and license plate number. Ask the other driver if you can take a picture of their automobile. Collect their vehicle registration information as well.
- Incident Report – Take note of the date and time when the accident occurred, as well as the location where it happened. Other details you must remember include where both cars were going from and what exactly took place.
3. Conduct Interviews
After beginning your search by filtering the attorneys who specialize in car accident cases, schedule a consultation with them in person. This way, you can ask them personally of the details about their educational and work background, as well as assess whether you’ll be comfortable sharing sensitive information with them.
Some questions you ought to ask are:
- How long have you been specializing in car accident cases?
- What percentage of those cases have you won? How many clients were given settlements?
- What are your certifications?
- What are your fees? Do you charge per hour or for each legal task?
- How often will I get billed?
- Will you be working on my case? If not, may I speak with the one who will?
- Do you outsource legal tasks?
- Can you supply me with a list of your previous clients and their contact information?
4. Gauge the Size of the Firm
Going for an established company with several partners may not always be the best option for you. There are plenty of advantages in working with small firms, primarily the time and attention that they’ll be able to provide your case. Their legal teams can also offer a more personalized approach to your issue as opposed to more prominent law firms with fixed protocols and methods.
5. Perform a Background Check
Once you’ve come up with one or two names for potential attorneys, you must conduct a background check. Start by contacting the state of California’s lawyer disciplinary agency and confirm if the ones you chose have great standing as bar members. Call up previous clients and ask them about their experiences with the lawyer as well as how their case went. Peer review ratings are also useful in hiring the best legal representative for your situation.
By hiring the best car accident lawyer, you ensure that your interests and rights are protected. Their help is valuable especially since you’re still dealing with the aftermath of the incident. They can face insurance companies on your behalf, gather evidence to support your claim, and use their knowledge of the law to prove that you must be compensated for the physical and emotional injuries you sustained.